With college students moving back for the semester and the holidays coming up, there are a lot of out-of-state drivers going in and out of the Twin Cities. If you get into an accident in Minnesota while you are currently the resident of another state, you do not have to panic about whether or not your insurance will cover it. Insurance companies already plan for a situation like this in your coverage.

Follow the same steps as you would after getting into an accident. Examine everyone involved to see if they need immediate medical attention, notify 911, and move off of the road to a safe area. Collect information from the other involved party such as full name, contact info, vehicle descriptions, their insurer, and the policy number. Write down important observations from the accident such as the location, time, weather conditions, and any other information that would be important for the police report. Take some photos of the damage for your own records and what could be used for the insurance. Also, if there are any witnesses, get their names and information.

Then, contact your insurance company as soon as possible to make the claim. Almost all insurance plans will cover you even if the accident is out of state. Although, if your coverage limits do not meet the state’s requirements, then they will adjust to meet that state’s minimum. Your insurer should be able to explain this to you if it applies. Since Minnesota is a no-fault state, that will also affect the process if you have an accident here. Your insurance should adjust to what’s appropriate for the state’s requirements.

Either way, dealing with a car accident while out of state does not have to be more difficult than one that happens in your home state. Some autobody shops, like Superior Service Center, will help you through the process. If you have been in a car accident in the Southern suburbs of the Twin Cities, give us a call.