It’s important to be prepared for anything when you’re on a road trip, and that includes having to use your insurance for an out-of-state collision. We’re here to help with some essential tips.

If you are an out-of-state resident that gets into a crash in Minnesota:

  • Be aware that Minnesota is a no-fault state, which affects the personal injury protection (PIP) part of your insurance. If you are from a no-fault state, then it will not be much different than getting into a crash in your home state. Regardless of who is at fault for the accident, the PIP covers your own injuries.
  • However, if you are from a fault state, then your insurance will base their decision on the minimum PIP coverage required in the state.

If you are a Minnesota resident that gets into an out-of-state crash:

  • The matter will be resolved differently, in terms of insurance, depending on the state’s fault or no-fault law. If the crash happens in a no-fault state, it will be similar to what would happen when dealing with an accident in your home state. If the crash happens in a fault state, then the negligent driver’s insurance will be responsible for covering injuries. The state’s law will decide who is at fault, and then the driver’s insurance will figure out what they are covering.

Essentially, out-of-state accidents happen all the time, and your insurance has most likely had to deal with it before. They can help guide you through what they cover due to whatever state laws apply to the situation, and you may or may not be responsible for any of it.

Either way, the steps to take after a car accident are the same in any state.

  • Check your passengers for injuries and try to get your vehicle off the road if it’s operable.
  • Call emergency services/police and let them know if someone needs immediate medical attention.
  • Wait for police and assess the damage. Take photos of your vehicle and the scene to keep for your own records and to have in cause there’s legal action taken.
  • Take notes on the location, road conditions, and what you remember of the accident.
  • Exchange information with the other involved party and get their contact information, their insurance policy number, model/make of their vehicle, and license plate number.
  • Once the police arrive, get their badge number and the report number for insurance.
  • Call your insurance and let them know you’d like to file a claim. They’ll be able to help you through the process, and they can even give you a recommendation of auto body shops in the area.

Superior Collision Center has a location in Eagan, MN and can help with all your auto body needs.